Monday, 18 June 2012

I spread my love for the Spanish equally...

As you all will know I am deeply dedicated to supporting Marc Marquez, almost religiously (If not check the tags on the side he is running a close second with 12 tags!), and with the recent so-called controversy around Pol Espagaro's crash at Cataluyna I was wholly sided with him, especially when I heard that Pol's team is trying to overturn the decision to let Marquez keep his 3rd place.

However now I am a bit more empathetic toward Pol's situation. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a brilliant rider and I felt so sorry for him seeing him weeping in the garage after losing out at his home race, but unlike some I do not blame Marquez for what happened. Everyone knows that if you have a wobble and go wide you're going to come straight back on to the racing line to defend your position, so what Pol did was kind of risky. Let me put it this way, if you are in the fast lane on a duel carriage way and there is a lorry in the slow lane just ahead of you and you are beginning to overtake it and the lorry signals and pulls out in front of you, you don't continue because you will be crushed up against the barriers. Yes the lorry driver is in the wrong but what if, like Marquez, they cannot see the car/Pol? Does that make sense?

So I still maintain that Marquez did not do anything wrong, but I also feel sympathy towards Pol. Although I see no reason why Marquez should be penalised and no reason why Pol's team should chase the matter, as it won't change the outcome of that race, which is what they are truly angry about! 

No comments:

Post a Comment